I recently attended a virtual networking event for the Bio Tech industry. When asked by the group leader to give a 15-second summary of who I am and what we do, I said that we help clients repurpose storage space for higher value activities, like clean rooms, laboratory space or kitting activities. I also said it turns out that our goods to person ASRS solutions are inherently helpful for social distancing in these areas as well. They always have been, I just did not know it. The leader of the group jumped in and said, “You are about to get a lot busier!”
Put ASRS to work for you
Here are just a few ways that ASRS vertical storage solutions can help you tackle the challenges that lie ahead.
- Free up space to optimize your flow and reduce bottlenecks where associates would otherwise congregate. Most of our systems densify the storage of product and utilize the wasted vertical cube in your building, thereby reducing the square footage needed.
- Reduce walking time since the machine brings product to the associate so there is less need to move about the warehouse. In most systems, we are batch picking multiple orders or kits at once. The workspace is usually a 20- to 30-foot aisle in front of two or three machines.
- The productivity and control enhancements made possible by intralogistics software incorporated with goods to person vertical storage equipment will reduce the total number of associates in the area.
- Reduce the number of touch points. In many cases we can develop a process where associates pick directly into the shipper. This was a good idea before COVID-19 with an added benefit post COVID-19.
- Create touch-free order consolidation by incorporating conveyor, buffer storage systems and software.
Smart investment for long-term benefits
Someday soon, I hope, we will return to a substantially normal way of life. This includes the work we do within our clients’ facilities. All the steps outlined above are good ideas that most businesses could implement to improve their respective operations. It is nice to know that by implementing these good practices, there is the added benefit of reducing the chance of transmission of the current virus and any other flu or virus that shows up in the future. The ROI on these systems is often less than 18 months, with the advantage of social distancing being a big bonus.