Transportation March 28, 2013
WTS International announces winners of 2013 achievement awards
Association for the professional advancement of women in transportation to present awards in five categories at conference in Philadelphia.
Although women have steadily increased their involvement in the transportation industry, they haven't received much notice for their accomplishments. WTS International, the association for the professional advancement of women in transportation, is doing its part to correct that through its annual Recognition Awards for outstanding achievement. In May, the organization will present its 2013 awards at its annual conference in Philadelphia.
Winners of the five awards are:
- Woman of the Year—Beverley Swaim-Staley, president and CEO, Union Station Redevelopment Corp., and former Maryland transportation secretary, for her achievements in workforce development among women and minorities in transportation;
- Member of the Year—Lupe Harriger, former senior transportation planner, Arizona Department of Transportation, for her commitment to the principles of WTS and success in strengthening her local chapter;
- Employer of the Year—HDR Engineering, for its record of affirmative action in hiring and promoting women and supporting continuing education and mentorship of young women;
- Rosa Parks Diversity Leadership Award—Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders of Austin, Texas, for preparing girls, especially minorities, to attend and graduate from college through a curriculum that emphasizes science, technology, engineering, and math; and
- Innovative Transportation Solutions Award—Presidio Parkway Project, for improving the seismic, structural, and traffic safety of the Doyle Drive segment of Highway 101 in San Francisco.
Click here for more information about WTS International and its 2013 annual conference.More articles by DC Velocity Staff
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. If you're not already logged in, you will be asked to log in or register.
Feedback: What did you think of this article? We'd like to hear from you. DC VELOCITY is committed to accuracy and clarity in the delivery of important and useful logistics and supply chain news and information. If you find anything in DC VELOCITY you feel is inaccurate or warrants further explanation, please ?Subject=Feedback - : WTS International announces winners of 2013 achievement awards">contact Editorial Director Peter Bradley. All comments are eligible for publication in the letters section of DC VELOCITY magazine. Please include you name and the name of the company or organization your work for.